Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Being Open - Feb 15th

If I truly showed my feelings, the other guys would eat me alive. It's too dog-eat-dog out there to be honest about the things that really count to you. You can't leave yourself wide open like that.

As we deepen our commitment to strong and mature manhood, we see a conflict between this program and much of what we learned as young men. When we drop our defenses and are honest, we take the chance of getting hurt. Many of us learned long ago that when we became vulnerable, others became abusive. It is difficult to abandon everything we learned about being nobody's fool and staying safe.

In fact, we don't have to leave ourselves wide open. We can be selective about how open we will be and whom we will trust. But for our spiritual growth to continue, we must be an open book to ourselves, to our Higher Power, and to a few friends. We must face the fear of being open to others in this program. Developing true friends is part of the change, which the program brings.

I pray for the courage to be honest with myself and to stand up for who I truly am with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment