Friday, March 26, 2010

Shoulds - March 26th


As long as I am constantly concerned
about what I "ought" to say, think, do,
or feel, I am still the victim of my sur-
roundings and am not liberated . . .
But when I can accept my identity from
God and allow him to be the centre of
my life, I am liberated from compulsion
and can move without restraints.

As we get more settled in our recovery, we are more vulnerable to becoming rigidly ruled by ideas of behavior, which should serve as guidelines, not moral edicts. If we find ourselves saying we should pass the message of recovery to others, perhaps the spirit of the program is missing. If we are telling ourselves we should go to meetings but don't feel the benefit, perhaps we have lost the spiritual path.

Our powerlessness is the source of vitality in our relationship with God. In the painful awareness that our will and our own devices get us nowhere, we can put aside the shoulds and again accept our identity from God.

Today, I will set aside my shoulds and return to trust in my Higher Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment