Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Realism - April 6th

I had gone through life thinking I was
better than everyone else and at the
same time being afraid of everyone. I
was afraid to be me.
-- Dennis Wholey

Looking back to the co-dependent or addictive times in our lives, we see with the perfect vision of hindsight. It is both embarrassing and humorous to see how misguided and deluded we were then. Grandiose images of ourselves isolated us from those around us and cut us off from true friendships with others. Many of us had strong feelings about ourselves that were in conflict--we felt both special and unworthy.

In this program we grow over time to have a more realistic self-concept. We are not exactly like everyone else, but we are more like them than different. It's okay to be like others, and it's comforting, too. Accepting this, we grow fully into the whole men we were meant to be, and we can relish the joy of friendship.

May I accept the guidance of my Higher Power in developing a realistic and comfortable self-image.

No comments:

Post a Comment