Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Loneliness - Aug 10th


“The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.”


I drank with strangers and treated them as friends so that I could live the illusion of having friends. They were doing pretty much the same thing, hanging out with people they didn't know. We were bonded together by our drinking and our loneliness. I hated going home to an empty apartment or house. I lived alone for years and before I got sober I was never comfortable with myself. Now when I am alone it's because I choose to be and it is solitude and solitude allows me to meditate and relax. I have no excuse to be lonely now and the program of AA has allowed me to make friends with people from all walks of life. I no longer feel lonely and I have sobriety and AA to thank for it.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment