Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Resentment - Aug 23rd

“Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Malachy McCourt

A.A. Thought for the Day

"We who have accepted the A.A. principles have been faced with the necessity for a thorough personal housecleaning. We must face and be rid of the things in ourselves, which have been blocking us. We therefore take a personal inventory. We take stock honestly. We search out the flaws in our make-up, which caused our failure. Resentment is the number one offender. Life, which includes deep resentment, leads only to futility and unhappiness. If we are to live, we must be free of anger." Am I free of resentment and anger?

My doctor had given me the quote (above) years ago and it struck a chord with me. Anger often goes unnoticed by the person we're angry at - or they simply don't care. So focusing anger and resentment only causes us pain when it is them we want to hurt. Letting go of this need to express anger is a daily struggle for me - but I am happy to say that it is a struggle in which I do see much improvement. Don't drink and go to meetings.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment