Saturday, August 27, 2011

Making Amends - Aug 27th

“It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character.”
~ Dale E. Turner

A.A. Thought for the Day

"We must be willing to make amends to all the people we have harmed. We must do the best we can to repair the damage done in the past. When we make amends, when we say 'I'm sorry,' the person is sure at least to be impressed by our sincere desire to set right the wrong. Sometimes people we are making amends to admit their own faults, so feuds of long standing melt away. Our most ruthless creditors will sometimes surprise us. In general, we must be willing to do the right thing, no matter what the consequences may be for us." Have I made a sincere effort to make amends to the people I have harmed.


The list of the persons I had harmed wasn't written in stone. There were those who, in my mind, weren't deserving of consideration when I first got sober. My ex-wife, an old boss, some family members. Over time as I got a better grounding in the program and became more accepting of my own imperfections I have had the chance to review my list of those I must make amends to and have added to that list. People I once considered not deserving of an apology have been added and amendments have been made.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment