Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Criticism - July 19th


“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”
Dale Carnegie 


A.A. Thought for the Day


Gossip about or criticism of personalities has no place in an A.A. clubroom. Every man in A.A. is a brother and every woman is a sister, as long as he or she is a member of A.A. We ought not to gossip about the relationships of any man or woman in the group. And if we say about another member, "I think she or he is taking a few drinks on the side," it's the worst thing we could do to that person. If a woman or a man is not living up to A.A. principles or has a slip, it's up to her or him to stand up in a meeting and say so. If they don't do that, they are only hurting themselves. Do I talk about other members behind their backs?


I have been critical of others at times in the program. Learning to accept people as they are and to take them at their word has been difficult. I do a much better job today than when I first came into AA - and I see my acceptance of others as a very good gauge of my progress in recovery.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment