Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Inner Asshole - July 27th

“If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.”

~ Chinese Proverb


My inner "asshole" is the outward reflection of my worst personality traits. The impatient, ego-driven, self-righteous jerk who leaps into the room anytime my base sense of entitlement or fear of dismissal or rejection is triggered. How I wish that I had the presence of mind to let life's petty confrontations slide by without comment, without judgement. Why is it I cannot ignore rudeness and inappropriate behaviour in others. In my need to be right and to seek out the moral high ground I swallow the poison that is my anger directed at others. But they may or may not ever be aware of the anger, may not care, will not necessarily even change if they were aware. And worse - there are times when they are not even wrong. So why let the barking dog of my anger free? I must remember to dial 3 - 11 when my anger threatens to become public. 

~Mike


Step 3:   Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.
 Step 11: Sought, through prayer and meditation, to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment