Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Excuses - July 5th


“Don't make excuses--make good.”

   ~ Elbert Hubbard


A.A. Thought for the Day

Until we came into A.A. most of us had tried desperately to stop drinking. We were filled with the delusion that we could drink like our friends. We tried time and again to take it or leave it, but we could do neither. We always lapsed into ceaseless, unhappy drinking. Wives or husbands, families, friends, and employers threw up their hands in hurt bewilderment, in despair, and finally in disgust. We wanted to stop. We realized that every reason for drinking was only a crazy excuse. Have I given up every excuse for drinking?

I had alienated my friends, family and colleagues and by the time I was ready to take a serious stab at quitting I was drinking with strangers or drinking alone. When I stopped making excuses and accepted that my drinking was out of control I had unknowingly taken my first step back towards sanity.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment