Thursday, July 7, 2011

Insight - July 7th


“It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes... we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions - especially selfish ones.”


A.A. Thought for the Day

We had become hopelessly sick people, spiritually, emotionally, and physically. The power that controlled us was greater than ourselves - it was John Barleycorn. Many drinkers have said: "I hadn't gone that far; I hadn't lost my job on account of drink; I still had my family; I managed to keep out of jail. True, I took too much sometimes and I guess I managed to make quite an ass of myself when I did, but I still thought I could control my drinking. I didn't really believe that I was an alcoholic." If I was one of these, have I fully changed my mind?

For the longest time my most closely held “insights” were simply ideas I had constructed to validate my alcoholic ways. Having honest insights takes much work and I must remain vigilant to ensure that I do not return to my self-serving ways.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment