Monday, April 18, 2011

As You Sow - April 18th

Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.  


A.A. Thought for the Day

As I look back over my drinking career, have I learned that you take out of life what you put into it? When I put drinking into my life, did I take out a lot of bad things? Hospitals with the D.T.'s? Jails for drunken driving? Loss of job? Loss of home and family? When I put drinking into my life, was almost everything I took out bad?



I was sober about 6 weeks when I came into the program and began learning the steps. Being overly focused on getting forgiveness I wanted desperately to make amends to the folks I had harmed. This was a fool's errand. Not having learned anything about humility I was concerned with my feelings and not the feelings of those who I'd harmed. My objective was a good one but my motivation was selfish.


I can't say that I am unselfish today but I try to be. When I make amends now I try to acknowledge the other persons feelings. Have a great 24 hours.


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment