Thursday, April 14, 2011

Misadventure - April 14th


“No young man believes he shall ever die” 
A police captain once told about certain cases he had come across in his police work. The cause of the tragedy in each case was drunkenness. He told his audience about a man who got into an argument with his wife while he was drunk and beat her to death. Then he went out and drank some more. The police captain also told about a man who got too near the edge of an old quarry hole when he was drunk and fell one hundred and fifty feet to his death. When I read or hear these stories, do I think about our motto: "But for the grace of God"?

I remember once coming to in a ditch, still at the wheel of my car with the motor running. My friend in the passenger seat was peacefully asleep (out cold). What if some poor schlub on his way home from an evening shift had crossed my path that night? I am truly grateful that I never hurt anyone while driving drunk.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment