Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Perseverance

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. 




Having found my way into this new world by the grace of God and the help of A.A., am I going to take that first drink, when I know that just one drink will change my whole world? Am I deliberately going back to the suffering of that alcoholic world? Or am I going to hang onto the happiness of this sober world? Is there any doubt about the answer? With God's help, am I going to hang onto A.A. with both hands?


I've never found myself sitting at a bar staring at a beer or a drink wanting to drink and wanting to stay sober at the same time. Relapse and a return to addiction claims 90% of people coming into this program and most alcoholics will die too young as the result of disease, suicide or misadventure long before their days should be up. 


My obsession with alcohol has caught me off guard many times since '96 when I stopped drinking. I remember sitting on top of Mont Tremblant one beautiful fall afternoon and a man sitting beside me poured himself a glass of wine - the smell seemed to envelop me and I thought to myself "wouldn't it be nice...." I think most relapse comes on completely unexpected. May you avoid temptation today.


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment