Sunday, June 26, 2011

Acceptance - June 26th


We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. 

A.A. Thought for the Day


We must know the nature of our weakness before we can determine how to deal with it. When we are honest about its presence, we may discover that it is imaginary and can be overcome by a change of thinking. We admit that we are alcoholics and we would be foolish if we refused to accept our handicap and do something about it. So by honestly facing our weakness and keeping ever present the knowledge that, for us, alcoholism is a disease with which we are afflicted, we can take the necessary steps to arrest it. Have I fully accepted my handicap?

Acceptance of alcoholism for me meant more than accepting that I had a problem with controlling my drinking - it took me a long time to accept that I needed to change my behaviour if I was evere going to gain the ability to manage my own life .
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment