Thursday, May 5, 2011

Boasting - May 5th

"Criticism is an indirect form of self-boasting”

Emmet Fox


A.A. Thought for the Day

I had to show off and boast so that people would think I amounted to something, when, of course, both they and I knew that I really didn't amount to anything. I didn't fool anybody. Although I've been sober for quite a while, the old habit of building my self up is still with me. I still have a tendency to think too well of myself and to pretend to be more than I really am. Am I always in danger of becoming conceited just because I'm sober?



I've overinflated my ego most days of my life, I try to be honest now and have a sense of humility. Some days are better than others. The drive to compete is hard to overcome but when I do find myself competing in some pointless and imaginary contest I do try to stop and practice a Step 10. I also know that I will feel better about myself by not competing and admitting that the competition serves no purpose. Have a wonderful 24 hours.
~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment