Monday, May 23, 2011

Gaining Confidence - May 23rd



“Because of our kinship in suffering, our channels of contact have always been charged with the language of the heart.”
   ~
Bill Wilson


A.A. Thought for the Day

The Twelfth Step of A.A., working with others, can be subdivided into five parts, five words beginning with the letter C confidence, confession, conviction, con version, and continuance. The first thing in trying to help other alcoholics is to get their confidence. We do this by telling them our own experiences with drinking, so that they see that we know what we're talking about. If we share our experiences frankly, they will know that we are sincerely trying to help them. They will realize that they're not alone and that others have had experiences as bad or worse than theirs. This gives them confidence that they can be helped. Do I care enough about other alcoholics to get their confidence?



The selflessness of others in the AA program has always inspired me. These people so willing to reach out, lend a hand and share their time with me gave me the confidence I needed to keep coming back. Without this aspect of AA I doubt that I would have ever stayed sober.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment