Sunday, May 1, 2011

Charity - May 1st


“If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?”
Rabbi Hillel

A.A. Thought for the Day

The A.A. program is one of charity because the real meaning of the word charity is to care enough about other people to really want to help them. To get the full benefit of the program, we must try to help other alcoholics. We may try to help some body and think we have failed, but the seed we have planted may bear fruit some time. We never know the results even a word of ours might have. But the main thing is to have charity for others, a real desire to help them, whether we 
succeed or not. Do I have real charity?



The most rewarding times for me in the program have come unexpectedly. I've done phone answering, chairing, coffee making, phone answering and many other activities. But every time I do one of these activities the alcoholic sets the expectation that "this" will make me feel better. Such expectations set me up for disappointment. However there are times when I connect with a stranger - sometimes out in the world and not in a meeting; when I talk of my drinking and my sobriety and I develop a connection with another human being. It is at these times that I feel best about the world, my sobriety and my commitment to stay sober today.
~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment