Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Commitment - May 11th


“Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans.”
   ~ Peter F. Drucker

A.A. Thought for the Day

We can depend on those members of any group who have gone all out for the program. They come to meetings. They work with other alcoholics. We don't have to worry about their slipping. They're loyal members of the group. I'm trying to be a loyal member of the group. When I'm tempted to take a drink, I tell myself that if I did I'd be letting down the other members who are the best friends I have. Am I going to let them down, if I can help it?



The book that the Thought for the Day is quoted from was written in 1954 and can at times seem to be idealistic. I don't know that most members of AA would agree that there are those among us who are immune from slipping or relapse. However, having a home group and sticking with the winners is important to sobriety. The winners are usually the most active members of the group and can be trusted to always be there when you need someone to speak with or rely on. 
~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment