Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Compassion - May 17th


“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
Dalai Lama  

A.A. Thought for the Day

A lot of well meaning people treat an alcoholic like the priest and the Levite. They pass by on the other side by scorning him and telling him what a low person he is, with no willpower. Whereas, he really has fallen for alcohol, in the same way as the man in the story fell among robbers. And the member of A.A. who is working with others is like the Good Samaritan. Am I moved with compassion? Do I take care of another alcoholic whenever I can?



In order to feel compassion I had to learn to control my ego. As long as my perception of the world began and stopped with my immediate concerns I had no empathy and without empathy I could not feel compassion. Every day I ask for help in finding humility so that I can feel empathy and be prepared to offer compassion.
~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment