Friday, May 6, 2011

Humility - May 6th



“Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.”

Saint Augustine 


A.A. Thought for the Day

I've noticed that the ones who do the most for A.A. are not in the habit of boasting about it. The danger of building myself up too much is that, if I do, I'm in danger of having a fall. That pattern of thought goes with drinking. If one side of a boat gets too far up out of the water, it's liable to tip over. Building myself up and drinking go together. One leads to the other. So if I'm going to stay sober, I've got to keep small. Have I got the right perspective on myself?

I can't claim humility as anything but a goal. I try to be humble but I can catch myself on any day comparing myself to others, competing, looking for some sense of superiority. It is my ego, I know, but it is a tyrant. I pray to my higher power to help me find the strength to have humility for this day.
~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment